Austin Public Health (APH) worked with community partners to conduct a Community Assessment for Public Health Emergency Response (CASPER) last month. Public health field teams conducted interviews in sample households throughout Travis County. The survey results will be used to inform the 2017 Community Health Assessment about community perceptions of health needs, themes, and strengths.
This process yielded the following report recommendations:
- Distribute this report to APH leadership and key community partners as part of the ongoing Community Health Assessment process and post on the APH website.
- Continue efforts to maintain and improve access to health care, places for physical activity, and affordable housing that are perceived to contribute to quality of life of Travis County residents.
- Explore opportunities to improve transportation options, address traffic problems and barriers to health care, and improve household preparedness.
- Encourage households to have an emergency supply kit in their home.
- Encourage households to have a working smoke detector in every bedroom.
For more information about Community Health Planning, visit http://www.austintexas.gov/healthforum.