How to keep your home safe this summer
Are you ready for a Texan summer? Summer should be about running barefoot in your yard, barbeques and pool parties, not about bug bites or uncomfortable rashes!
Summer heat and standing water are ideal conditions for mosquitoes and other bugs to thrive. Before the summer heats up, let’s do a quick look around your house:
- Lawns should be 12 inches or shorter.
- Flip over buckets or plastic containers that are filled with dirty water.
- Donate larger items to a local shelter, take take tires and other recyclables to a local recycling center. Do not throw them in your alley or create a dumping location.
Resources and Tips
Need resources to be Summer Ready? The City of Austin offers a variety of rebates, grants and free landscaping to help keep your home safe this summer.
- Watershed Protection offers rebates, free stuff and grants with various eligibilities.
- Take advantage of the Grow Green gardening educational program that promotes sustainable landscaping practices.
- Love nature? The Austin Parks & Recreation Department can teach you how you can safely create a City certified wildlife habitat or how to begin your own community garden.
- Learn how to keep your home comfortable and cool this summer with Austin Energy rebates and incentives.