Calendar events allow users to promote upcoming departmental events on their pages. The events are also placed in both the departmental and the City of Austin calendars. Calendar events are also automatically removed from department pages once they end.
Steps to Create a Calendar Event
To get to the calendar event, you will need to go to My Workbench and select “Create Content.” Then, select the Calendar Event content type.
All steps correspond to the fields at right, which are the fields given when creating a calendar event.
To have the Calendar Event appear on more than one department page, select the first department name, then press and hold "Ctrl" and select the other department name(s).
2. Add the title of the event in the Title field. This title will appear in any list view of calendar events.
If the title is too long, it will get cut off in the list view; therefore, you can add a shortened version of the title in the Short Title field to ensure that the title of the event is not cut off.
3. Add the starting date and time of the event. You may also add an end date and time, if appropriate. If the starting date and ending date are the same, the ending time must be later than the starting time.
4. Enter the location information for the event. Include the location name (if given), street address, city, state and zip code. Leave latitude and longitude blank - these will be automatically calculated.
Important note: For the state, please type “Texas” and wait for a box to pop up – select “Texas” from the pop-up list to ensure that this event is mapped correctly within the website.
5. Enter any additional information about the event into the Body section. If you are unfamiliar with this editor or want more tips on adding documents, photos, links, etc. to the body text, view additional information about the CK editor.
6. An image field allows you to add an image; however, it is much easier to add an image in the Body section above.
7. An image banner field (see below) allows you to add a banner to the top of an event. The image should be no more than 700 pixels wide.
8. If you have a specific contact for this event, you can add a contact name, email address and phone number within the Contact Information box.
Only City of Austin emails are accepted. To provide a link to a city email address, you only need to type in the person's name. So, if linking to "firstname.lastname at austintexas.gov," you would type "firstnamelastname" in the email box. Don't forget to leave out the period between the two names!
9. The “Special Notice” field is meant for updates to the event, specifically cancellation notices. For most events, you will leave this field blank.
Saving & Moderating Content
Once you’ve completed your calendar event, click Save at the bottom. You will then be able to send it through workflow to be published on the site. View more about moderating content.