Purpose of Department Pages
Department Pages are used to create pages of content on the site. They are used as Home, About, Media, Program, Division and Location pages. These pages also have the capabilities to have Features, including video, Flickr gallery embeds, blogs and news sections.
Notes about Department Pages
Department pages cannot be created by department liaisons. For a new department page, you must contact the AustinGo web content team with your new page request and business case. If your request is approved, the web content team will create the page and save it as an unpublished blank Department Page in your workbench.
Department pages also have a 3000 character limit and a limit of 4 features per page. Each feature selected to appear on the page reduces the overall character limit by 500 characters; therefore, if you want to have news and a video on the page, you will be able to have 2,000 characters (3,000 minus 500 each for news and video) within the two text boxes on the page (Summary and Additional Message).
Steps to Creating a Department Page
To edit a page, either select “New Draft” while looking at the page from the visitor’s side of the site (you must be logged in to see this tab). You can also search for the page from My Workbench and then click “Edit” next to its title.
All steps correspond to the fields at right, which are the fields given when creating department pages.
1. The correct Editorial Section should already be selected; however, if it needs to be changed, you can change it to reflect the change in the page.
2. The title should already be set up; however, if it needs to be changed, you can change the title of the page in the Page Title field.
3. The “This is a child page of:” field is used by the AustinGo web team to create custom menus. Contact the web team for more information about custom menus; otherwise, please leave this field blank unless the web team has something in it.
These fields are for corporate web team use only:
- Feature limit
- Character limit
- Portal and list tags
- Development home page tags
- Custom menu
- Global contact
You can skip these fields.
4. If the resource for which you are creating this page has special branding, you can upload a program or division banner under “Banner.” This banner will not take the place of the departmental banner, but instead will appear below it. The specifications for uploading the program/division banner are listed for your convenience.
5. Place a summary of the department page in the Summary field. The title of the page as well as the text in the summary field (up to 600 characters) will be used in list pages (a Programs page if the page you are creating is a program, a Divisions page if the page you are creating is a Division, etc.). The title will then link to the rest of the page’s content. Make sure you don’t put too much content in the Summary editor, or the text will get cut off in the list page
The Summary and Additional Message fields both use the CK editor to allow you to edit your text. If you are unfamiliar with this editor or want more tips on adding documents, photos, links, etc. to the text, view more information on the CK editor.
6. Add the rest of the page’s text to the Additional Message field.
7. Add up to four Features to the page using these instructions:
- To add a news section to a Home, About or Media page, select “Recent News: Home/About/Media” from the Feature’s drop-down field. To add a news section to a Program, Division or Location page, select “Recent News: Program/Division/Location” from the drop-down menu. Do not place any additional text in the editor below.
- To add a blog section to a Home, About or Media page, select “Blog: Home/About/Media” from the Feature’s drop-down field. To add a blog section to a Program, Division or Location page, select “Blog: Program/Division/Location” from the drop-down menu. Do not place any additional text in the editor below.
- To add video, select “Video” from the drop-down menu. Then, click on the “Embed Media” button in the CK editor. View more information about adding videos.
- To add a Flickr gallery, see step-by-step instructions.
Saving & Moderating Content
Once you’ve completed your Department Page, click Save at the bottom. You will then be able to send it through workflow to be published on the site. View more about moderating content.