Purpose of News Releases
Whereas articles are used for informal news on your website, news releases are used for formal news releases that are submitted by your department.
Steps to Creating a News Release
To get to the news release, go to My Workbench and select “Create Content.” Then, select the News Release content type.
All steps correspond to the fields at right, which are the fields given when creating a News Release.
1. Select the Editorial Section and add the Page Reference, if appropriate. View additional information about setting the correct Editorial Section and Page Reference.
2. Add the title of the News Release in the Title field. This title, along with a summary of a release, will appear in any list view’s news items.
If the title is too long, it will get cut off in the list view; therefore, you can add a shortened version of the title in the Short Title field to ensure that the title is not cut off.
3. If the news release has a tagline, add this to the Tagline field.
4. Add the date of the news item’s publication/release to the Release Date field. All news items are organized by release date.
5. News Releases can link to outside sources, such as PDFs, news articles on other department sites or even outside websites (where appropriate). This means that when the title of a release is viewed in a list with other news items, clicking on the title will take users to this other source rather than to the body of the news release.
If your news release should link to another source, put the URL of this source in the External News Link Field. If not, leave this field blank. If it links to a PDF or another page on the city website, remember to only include everything after the "/" in the URL. For example, if you want to link to "http://austintexas.gov/drupalhelp" you would put only "drupalhelp" in the link box.
6. If you have a specific contact for this News Release, enter this contact into the Contact field. This field auto-populates as you are typing in a name. If the name you need is not in the system, contact the Corporate PIO web team to have it added.
You are also able to add a phone number and email address. Only City of Austin emails are accepted. To provide a link to a city email address, you only need to type in the person's name. So, if linking to "firstname.lastname at austintexas.gov," you would type "firstnamelastname" in the email box. Don't forget to leave out the period between the two names!
7. If you would like a standard image to go with the news release, you can add it by clicking Select Media under image. You can also add the photo in the editor in the body text below. To learn more about how to add images in the editor, view Adding Images to Content.
8. If your news release does not link to an external source, it will need body text. Enter this text into the Body section. If you are unfamiliar with this editor or want more tips on adding documents, photos, links, etc. to the body text, view additional information about the CK editor.
Scheduling Content for Automatic Publishing / Unpublishing
Near the bottom, you can see an option titled “Scheduling Options” in the bar menu to the left. Clicking on this allows you to add a date and time for the article to publish and unpublish. If your news item doesn’t have specific dates, you can leave these blank.
To set an automatic publish / unpublish, you must set both a date and time to either or both of the options. The time format is in military time.
Saving & Moderating Content
Once you’ve completed your news release, click Save at the bottom. You will then be able to send it through workflow to be published on the site. View more about moderating content.