You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

No, AHFC will provide a  pre-approved contractor  from our departments master solicitation rotation list.

Some of the programs offered by the AHFC are grants, other programs require a deferred loan, which will be forgiven if you stay in the house for a certain number of years.

Applicants must reside within the City of Austin City limits.

Contractor/Subcontractor Activity Reports provide information on businesses employed to work on a particular project.  The types of information collected include the type of trade, whether it is a minority- or woman-owned business enterprise, the ethnicity of the contractor or subcontractor, the amount of the contract or subcontract, etc.

DBRA is a set of laws enacted to provide labor standards on certain federally-funded projects.  DBRA specifies the minimum wage a worker in a certain trade should receive, requires that workers be paid weekly, requires that they receive 1.5 times their hourly wage for any hours worked over 40 hours in a single week, and makes unauthorized payroll deductions or kickbacks to employers illegal.  Locally, a Labor Standards Officer (LSO) will be appointed to a particular project, and the LSO is responsible for reviewing weekly certified payrolls submitted by contractors and subcontractors.  The LSO ensures the requirements of DBRA described above are met.

“Section 3” refers to Section 3 of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968 which requires that recipients of certain HUD financial assistance, to the greatest extent possible, provide job training, employment, and contract opportunities for low- or very-low income residents in connection with projects and activities in their neighborhoods.

AHFC provides a number of construction programs:

  • ABR- To remove architectural barriers in the home
  • HRLP- To address code related deficiencies in the home

Depending on the type of project, reporting may be required monthly or may not be required until the job is completed.

The process of providing weekly certified payrolls begins when construction begins. HUD’s Website for Davis Bacon and Labor Standards (DBLS) is and the United States Department of Labor's page for Davis-Bacon and Related Acts (DBRA) is:

On federally-funded projects, reporting is required if any contract or subcontract exceeds $10,000.  However, because the reporting form collects additional useful information, AHFC often requires it on non-federal contracts as well.

Generally, DBRA is applicable when 12 or more housing units will be assisted using federal funds.  Depending on the source of federal funds, there may be other situations where DBRA is applicable.

Section 3 is applicable for contracts in excess of $200,000 or in excess of $100,000 for a subcontractor.

Not in all situations, but AHFC reimburses up to $3,000 for approved relocation expenses for the HRLP program.