- Causes pollution (from the breakdown of plastic, cigarette butts, batteries, motor oil, paint, and other toxic trash)
- Decreases oxygen levels as it decays in the creek
- Destroys aquatic habitat Harms animals living in water
- Decreases property values
- Attracts other types of crime
- Makes the City look ugly
- Cost taxpayers money to clean up
Wind and rainwater wash pollutants downhill to the lowest point in the area - the creek or the lake. Trash is the largest and most visible pollutant in urban creeks.