APD offers internships to individuals who are interested in pursuing a career with the Austin Police Department. Internships are designed to allow potential applicants to experience the daily operations within a law enforcement agency.
- Placed at the top of the eligibility list for the next available Austin Police Academy after successfully completing the internship.
- Exposure to various areas of police work.
- Working around other police officers and detectives.
The process for entering into the Austin Police Department Internship Program is exactly the same as if you were applying directly for the Austin Police Department Academy. The expectations of the internship program include:
- Internships are considered voluntary, unpaid positions in durations of five (5) months with a minimum of twenty (20) hours a week.
- This commitment also says that you have no problem beginning the next available Austin Police Academy following the successful completion of the program.
- College Students:
- College internships are only granted during a students last semester of college.
- College students must submit their application at least three (3) months prior to their last semester.
- College students will be expected to start the next Academy class upon successful completion of the internship.