Information is provided here regarding state and local orders and rules that have been issued during COVID-19, including the current local Health Authority Rules.
Health Authority Rules
Dr. Mark Escott, Austin-Travis County Interim Health Authority, adopted Health Authority Emergency Rules, which expire May 18, 2021. The Emergency Rules govern individuals and sites within the City of Austin and impose requirements to protect public health.
Under the Rules, businesses and other sites must require individuals to wear a face covering, with some exceptions. Businesses should also clean and disinfect high touch items, require at least six feet between groups of ten or less, and post face covering and hygiene signage. In the City of Austin, an individual must also wear a face covering when outside of their residence.
- An Ordinance Reauthorizing the Health Authority to Adopt Administrative Rules to Protect Individuals from COVID-19 was also issued effective December 15, 2020 through December 31, 2021.
- Guidance was issued for child care programs that serve children birth through age 5. Read the Guidance for Open Child Care Programs (English - Spanish).
- Additional guidance was issued for reopening schools in Austin-Travis County. Read the Austin Public Health Interim Guidance on Reopening for Austin-Travis County Schools.
The Health Authority Rules include a requirement for businesses to require individuals to wear face coverings in most circumstances.
A significant percentage of individuals with the COVID-19 virus lack symptoms. Because an infected person can transmit the virus to others before showing any symptoms, face coverings help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Wearing a face covering is not a substitute for maintaining social distancing and hygiene, as these remain important steps to slowing the spread of the virus.
A printable PDF flyer on face coverings is available in English (PDF), Spanish (PDF), Simplified Chinese (PDF), Traditional Chinese (PDF), Vietnamese (PDF), Korean (PDF), Burmese (PDF), Urdu (PDF), Arabic (PDF).
Cloth face coverings should:
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops
- Include multiple layers of fabric
- Allow for breathing without restriction
- Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
City of Austin/Travis County Orders
Order Relating to Notices to Vacate (Austin) - March 30, 2021
Order Relating to Notices to Vacate (Travis County) - March 30, 2021