Dillo Dirt™ is sold at the Hornsby Bend site only on a wholesale basis to registered vendors.
The City of Austin recently contracted with Synagro of Texas-CDR, Inc. (Synagro) for the composting of 100 percent of the biosolids produced at Hornsby Bend Biosolids Management Plant (Hornsby). This contract was competitively bid and awarded November 1, 2018. Synagro has begun work and is utilizing the entire site for the composting operations. Synagro has assumed the responsibility of producing Dillo Dirt to Austin Water (AW) specifications and under AW’s oversight. In addition to Dillo Dirt, Synagro will also produce AllGro® compost at the Hornsby Bend facility.
Beginning March 1, 2019, AW will no longer accept new vendor registrations or new Dillo Dirt sales. Sales and vendor registrations after this date will be completed by Synagro. Vendors may purchase Dillo Dirt by contacting Synagro’s contact Denise Winter. Synagro has agreed to maintain the currently published rate schedule through 2019 for orders of Dillo Dirt to be picked up at Hornsby Bend.
All vendors who have not yet picked up their prepaid Dillo Dirt must pick up the Dillo Dirt before April 15, 2019. Please call Ian Moede before coming to Hornsby to ensure product is available. AW will reimburse vendors for any pre-paid orders of Dillo Dirt that have not been collected by April 15, 2019. Synagro will continue the AW program of Dillo Dirt donations to charities and nonprofit organizations. If you represent a nonprofit organization and would like Dillo Dirt for your organization’s use, please submit your email request to AW Hornsby Superintendent Ken Lockard.
If you aren’t sure whether you have a prepaid order of Dillo Dirt that is pending pick up, or if you have any questions or comments, please contact Ian Moede.
- November 1, 2018 – Synagro is awarded contract to produce all compost at Hornsby.
- March 1, 2019 – AW will no longer accept new Dillo Dirt vendors or Dillo Dirt sales. New Dillo Dirt sales after this date must be through Synagro.
- April 15, 2019 – Vendors must pick up prepaid compost by this date. Remaining balances will be refunded after this date. (Checks will not be processed until June 1, 2019)
- May 1, 2019 – Synagro is the sole contact for sales, loading and vendor registration of all compost products produced at Hornsby.
- Dillo Dirt Information (technical questions, questions about purchases or pick-ups) - Ian Moede – AW Environmental Coordinator – 512-972-1956, email@example.com
- Dillo Dirt Donations – Ken Lockard, Superintendent - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Synagro Purchases - email@example.com, 800-370-0035; or Denise Winter – 903-640-1699 (office) 214-415-1977 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org