The International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC) is a model code that regulates the minimum maintenance requirements for existing residential and commercial buildings. The IPMC is intended to establish minimum standards for structural conditions, lighting, ventilation, sanitation, and fire safety. The Austin City Council adopted the 2015 IPMC on October 12, 2017, and issued some local amendments to it: Ordinance no. 20171012-SPEC001.
These amendments will require property owners to:
- Obtain permits for any work requiring permits
- Display visible addresses on all property
- Maintain stairways and guardrails in good condition and based on specific standards
- Establish appropriate size of bedrooms and occupancy requirements in dwelling units
- Abide by water temperature requirements for hot water in dwelling units
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms in dwelling units