Celebrating trees, pollinators, and all creatures!
On Halloween weekend, we invite you to explore the outdoors, get your face painted, and celebrate in your best nature-themed costume!
The Roots & Wings Festival is a combined community-wide appreciation party for Arbor Day and Monarch Appreciation Day. This day of celebration just needs you! Come in costume or visit the costume creation station as we fill Zilker Botanical Garden with butterflies, bugs, and faeries. Let nature be your inspiration!
Some of What's Happening:
9:20 - Machica Dance Group performs a Butterfly Ceremony
10:00 - Story Time with the Austin Public Library
1:00 - Singing Zoologist Lukas Miller takes the stage
1:30 - Costume parade and final butterfly release of the day
Family Friendly Fun:
- Butterfly tag and release station
- Kid’s tree climb with City of Austin arborists! First come, first served.
- Costume creation station
- Nature play and nature crafts
- Guided nature walks through Zilker Botanical Garden
- Food trucks (or, bring your own picnic!)
Zilker Botanical Garden Entrance Fees:
- $1 for kids under 12 and seniors 62 and over
- $2 for adults, Austin resident
- $3 for adults, non-residents of Austin
Go Green! We encourage carpooling, ridesharing, and use of mass transit. Plan your trip via CAP Metro: www.capmetro.org
Free parking available in the Stratford lot.
The Stratford parking area is a gravel lot located under and adjacent to the Mopac Bridge. Attendees should enter the Zilker Botanical Garden through the Hartman Gate (also known as the Rose Gate) located at 2300 Stratford Drive.
Can’t make it to Zilker?
There will also be satellite events occurring throughout the city. Check out Roots & Wings events at the locations below:
- Patterson Park in East/Central Austin
- Dittmar Park in Southwest Austin
- Alderbrook Park in North Austin
- Brentwood Park in North Austin
We can’t wait to see you at the Roots & Wings Festival!
The City of Austin is proud to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require assistance for participation in our programs or use of our facilities, please call (512) 974-3914.