The qualifications for each position are listed in "Minimum Qualifications" section of the advertisement. Some positions allow for a substitution of additional work experience instead of the educational requirement or vice versa. If a position allows for a substitution it will be stated in the advertisement. If it is not stated in the advertisement, the position does not allow for a substitution. You must meet all of the qualifications of the position for which you are applying.
When substitutions are allowed use the following guidelines:
- Undergraduate hours: 30 semester hours of college = 1 year of work experience
- Graduate hours: 24 semester hours of college = 1 year of work experience
- Clock hours: 480 clock hours = 1 year of work experience
- Full-time work experience vs. part-time work experience: Calculations for work experience are based on full-time experience. Full-time experience equals 40 hours or more of work per week. Part-time work experience is counted as half of the total length of experience (i.e. 2 years part-time work experience = 1 year full-time work experience).
- Volunteer experience vs. paid work experience: Related volunteer work experience may be considered as qualifying work experience. Volunteer experience must be completely documented.