Under minimal supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment, perform highly complex engineering functions that include: work in designing, planning, overseeing work in support of construction, maintenance, alteration of structures, facilities, processes, equipment, and systems. May plan, assign, and/or lead the work of others.
|Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
||Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Approve, process, and seal plans/specifications/construction documents by applying engineering standardization of practices and principles of highly technical and complex calculations for applied discipline within the local and state regulatory requirements.
- Manage engineering projects that are technically complex, highly visible, priority projects or programs. These projects require a high level of technical proficiency as well as coordinative and administrative responsibility. May require the ability to coordinate the efforts of a multi-discipline, multi-agency project team to complete a defined assignment or CIP.
- Identify, evaluate, and provide improvement recommendations with preliminary and final designs and design criteria for assigned program or projects that may be complex and non routine. Provides assistance in the preparation of preliminary and long range plans, schedules, estimates, budgets, detailed final plans, specifications, special conditions and agreements. Provide technical oversight of project progress from design through completion.
- Develop cost estimates/track expenditures prepare cost estimates and engineering and feasibility reports and studies for projects. Prepares and or provides assistance with preliminary contract documents, specifications and plans. Prepares final plans, specifications, special conditions and agreements and coordinates and oversees work of contractors, affected public agencies and utilities. Writes complex technical specifications for construction contracts.
- Review plans and approve permits by applying complex engineering standardization of practices and principles for applied discipline within local and state regulatory requirements.
- Inspect and monitor projects for legal compliance by reviewing work completed by contractors and ensuring compliance to specifications by completing complex calculations that are used to further provide analysis of preliminary results of a project.
- Develop cost estimates/track expenditures by reviewing and writing contract change orders in the area of technical expertise negotiates and recommends financial arrangements for changes to contract.
- May lead activities of a design team in the preparation of preliminary and long range plans, schedules, estimates, budgets, detail final construction plans, specifications, and agreements.
- Conduct field inspections of work done by contractors to ensure compliance
with plans and specifications. Drafts and recommends approval of contract change orders.
- Research and perform statistical analysis for validation of reports and publication of results in various communication formats
- Develop standard operating procedures, policies, and ordinances for various
contracts and/or projects. May provide analysis and recommendation of performance of various personnel assigned by contract or projects.
- Responsible for designing and maintain database systems for project and/or
- Prepare and deliver presentations to public, city council, or customers.
|Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and
guidance to others.
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
||Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of diversified, fundamental scientific and civil engineering concepts, phenomena, and relationships, and utilize such changes in solution of theoretical or practical civil engineering problems;
- Knowledge of advanced mathematical techniques such as trigonometry, calculus, and coordinate geometry
- Knowledge of modern methods, materials, and techniques of assigned discipline
- Knowledge of one or more of the following disciplines: Civil, Environmental, Structural, Architectural, Mechanical and/or Electrical engineering terminology and techniques.
- Knowledge of City of Austin purchasing and contract policies and procedures
- Knowledge of applicability of established engineering principles and methods.
- Knowledge of phases of the plans review and inspections processes.
- Knowledge of preparation of cost estimates and engineering and feasibility
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements within the local and state ordinances and laws
- Skill in oral and written technical and/or general communication including preparation of written reports
- Skill in negotiations and handling conflict resolution
- Ability to perform more complex engineering computations, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry, rapidly and accurately.
- Ability to interpret and explain maps and other related documents
- Ability to interpret and make decisions not within established policies and practices.
- Ability to communicate and provide direction to peers and assigned personnel
- Ability to organize, analyze, interpret, and evaluate scientific civil engineering problems and provide practical, cost effective solutions;
- Ability to observe, compares, or monitors objects and data to determine compliance with prescribed operating or safety standards.
- Ability to use graphic instructions, such as blue prints, schematic drawings, layouts, or other visual aids.
- Ability to use a personal computer, engineering applications, and data management software.
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major
coursework in Engineering or in a field related to the job, plus eight (8)
years engineering experience acquired either before and/or after licensing
as a professional engineer.
|Licenses and Certifications Required: