City of Austin - JOB DESCRIPTION
Airport Operations Communication Specialist
|FLSA:||Standard/Non-Exempt||EEO Category:||(30) Technicians|
|Class Code:||18675||Salary Grade:||OA5|
|Approved:||October 24, 1997||Last Revised:||April 25, 2013|
Under general supervision, responsible for all Aviation Department dispatch services,
work order entries, security system management, CCTV management, escort management and emergency response.
|Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:|
|Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Answer emergency and non-emergency phone calls, determine nature of request and take messages when necessary. Initiate, enter and update Emergency Notification System during emergency and non-emergency situations.
2. Initiate, enter and update calls for service for Police, Emergency Medical Service, Fire and Operations Security into Computer Aided Dispatch Computer System.
3. Provide customer service to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport and City of Austin Employees, other governmental agencies and tenants by performing duties such as providing information using communication devices.
4. Operate and monitor fire alarm system for Austin-Bergstrom International Airport Terminal and external buildings. Prepare chronological data to assist Department of Aviation, Transportation Security Administration, Police, Fire and EMS with their reports. Monitor security/emergency equipment/systems and closed circuit television monitors; Report breaches of security to appropriate personnel.
5. Enter and dispatch work order service requests for all maintenance divisions at Austin Bergstrom International Airport.
6. Record data to appropriate forms/logs. Search for data on multi-application computer systems
7. Operate/monitor multi-channel radio, audio/video, multi-agency and multi-jurisdictional alpha paging systems.
8. Coordinate inter-departmental operations during emergency situations; Coordinate internal and multi-agency joint response.
9. Coordinate the opening and closing of the airport (or portions of it) based upon airport conditions, safety factors and emergencies.
10. Coordinate Investigations with other law enforcement entities and Department of Aviation through CCTV management and Security System management.
11. Operate over head paging throughout the terminal and external buildings.
12. Inspects facilities and ensures safe operating conditions via closed circuit television monitors.
|Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:|
• May perform training and guidance to others
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:|
|Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of airport operations.
• Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws.
• Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedure.
• Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
• Knowledge of policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data and property.
• Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
• Skill in oral and written communications.
• Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
• Skill in using computers and related security software.
• Skill in planning and organizing.
• Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
• Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priority.
• Ability to stay informed of airport operational and security issues.
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public
• Ability to train others.
|• Graduation from High School or GED. Two (2) years PBX or Emergency (law enforcement, transportation security administration, emergency medical, fire department or military) call taking or dispatching, or operating a 2-way or multi-channel radio.|
|Licenses and Certifications Required:|
• Valid Texas Class C Drivers License.
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check and obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances required to work at an airport.
|This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.|