City of Austin - JOB DESCRIPTION
Director, Smart Grid & System Operation
|FLSA:||Standard/Exempt||EEO Category:||(20) Professionals|
|Class Code:||12813||Salary Grade:||ZV2|
|Approved:||October 06, 2010||Last Revised:||September 11, 2017|
|Under nominal direction of the Vice President, Electric Service Delivery; is responsible for strategic and tactical leadership and management of Austin Energy's Smart Grid and System Operations to ensure the delivery system operates safely and reliably in compliance with NERC standards. The division is responsible for identifying and evaluating existing and emerging technologies in the areas of advanced metering, distribution automation, grid communication networks, and advanced control center functions as well as the integration of renewable and distributed supply resources.|
|Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:|
|Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Provides direction and guidance on the design, engineering, operation, maintenance, and construction of Austin Energy's Transmission and Distribution Systems.
2. Develops and maintains a comprehensive, multi-year strategy for the technological framework and the development, integration, and deployment of advanced energy delivery infrastructure, metering technologies, and distributed resources to meet the evolving needs of AE’s power delivery infrastructure.
3. Directs enterprise level cross-divisional projects and serves as a subject matter expert to Austin Energy’s Executive Leadership Team. Ensures projects are implemented on schedule and on budget.
4. Monitors emerging trends and evolving technology, evaluating and understanding the implications for inclusion in corporate strategies. Focuses on cost-effective design, engineering, operation, maintenance, and construction practices to achieve operational excellence.
5. Implements processes that improve reliability, improve customer service, increase revenue, and reduce cost.
6. Acts as liaison between Austin Energy and major vendors and researchers in the industry.
7. Manages annual O&M and Capital Improvement Project budgets, prepares short and long-term spending plans.
8. Oversees the day to day operations of AE’s Distribution and Transmission System Control Center. Actively participates in on-going ERCOT and NERC activities that affect the operations of the System Control Center.
9. Manages the activities of AE’s Distribution Maintenance and Restoration Section including pole inspections, URD cable replacements, capacitor bank installation and maintenance, and the restoration of power outages.
10. Manages the activities of the Distribution System Engineering Section including fuse coordination studies, operational and reliability improvement studies, engineering support of Distribution Automation (DA) deployments, and support of the operations of the System Control Center.
11. Manages the activities of the Complex Metering Section including the review and approval of metering products and services technical specifications; oversees AE ESD AMR/AMI project; and oversees day-to-day meter operations and maintenance.
12. Manages the activities of the Control Engineering Section including the management of AE’s real-time EMS/SCADA control system and backup control system; oversees day-to-day SCADA operations and maintenance; and oversees the development and deployment of AE’s DMS project.
|Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:|
|• Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal|
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:|
|Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
• Knowledge of financial analysis skills relative to budgeting, business case development, risk management, and economic valuation.
• Knowledge of project management, analytical, and problem solving skills, situational analysis, planning, and organizational skills.
• Knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws, ordinances, and policies.
• Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
• Knowledge of ISO 9001:2000 quality management systems requirements.
• Knowledge of NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation), FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) and TRE (Texas Regional Entity).
• Knowledge of ERCOT Protocols and Operating Guides.
• Knowledge of current electric utility/power delivery operations, engineering, maintenance, and construction.
• Skill in oral and written technical and/or general communication including preparation of written reports
• Skill in qualitative and quantitative analysis to identify and solve a wide range of business problems.
• Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
• Skill in using computers and related software applications.
• Skill in preparing and analyzing budgets, reports, and studies.
• Ability to maintain effective communication and working relationships with government and regulatory agencies, boards and commissions, city employees and the public.
|• Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Engineering, plus seven (7) years of work experience in Transmission and Distribution Operations and/or Distribution Engineering, or in a field related to the job, four (4) years of which were in a supervisory or managerial capacity.
• Masters degree may substitute for two (2) years of the required experience up to a maximum of two (2) years
|Licenses and Certifications Required:|
|This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.|