In an effort to maximize the safety of our community and workforce during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Austin Police Department will immediately implement the operational changes outlined below. These changes are intended to operationalize the best practices put forth by the Centers for Disease Control to mitigate the disease impact while still maintaining our public safety responsibilities. It is important to note that we are not amending our response to critical calls where life or safety is jeopardized. We will continue to monitor these changes and update them as necessary.
- There will be no change to our most serious calls for service where life and property is at immediate risk. For our lower priority calls, APD will increase our use of online or over the phone reporting. APD will no longer send an officer/civilian to calls that can be addressed through online or phone reporting, including property crime technicians.
- For those wanting/needing to make an online report, utilize the city website at https://www.austintexas.gov/service/file-police-reports-online
- APD will no longer respond to crashes where there is no injury and all vehicles are drivable.
- APD will continue traffic enforcement for hazardous violations; however enforcement for non-hazardous violations is at the officer’s discretion, but generally discouraged.
- APD has secured the lobby in our Police Headquarters and restricted access at sub-stations to prevent unnecessary contact. Phones will be provided for those visiting, and admission to the facility will be allowed for those with a need.
- APD will amend our sex offender check-in operations. Offenders who are newly released to our community will still be processed and registered so we have their information in our system. Currently registered offenders who come to APD to conduct their check-in will confirm that the information we have on file is still accurate and be instructed to call and make an appointment to come back at a later date for in-person processing.
- We are suspending in-person report sales. For those needing to obtain a copy of a report, please follow the instructions found at https://www.austintexas.gov/faq/how-do-i-obtain-police-report
- We are suspending public fingerprinting services.