The Austin City Council seeks applications from qualified individuals with interest in serving the health care needs of those with low-income and no access to insurance who reside in Travis County. The City Council is looking for candidates with experience in finance and accounting and a desire to serve the community to access healthcare services by serving on the nine-member Board of Managers of the Travis County Healthcare District dba Central Health. The opening is to fill a new term that will run from January 2019 through December 31, 2022.
The deadline for applications is 5 p.m. on Friday, January 4, 2019.
Central Health’s mission is simple and vital: to create access to healthcare for those who need it most. Rather than directly providing health care services, Central Health has developed a unique approach of contracting with a variety of providers to meet the health care needs of low-income and uninsured people of Travis County. In 2012, Travis County voters approved a tax increase to allow Central Health to redesign and transform health care delivery in Central Texas, which includes opening the new Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin.
The City Council is looking for the following qualities and preferred experience in health care finance and accounting in its appointee to the Central Health Board of Managers:
- Commitment to the Mission and Values of Central Health (http://centralhealth.net/vision_mission_values.html)
- Resident of Austin with experience serving on boards of directors or in senior management positions
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in finance and accounting, financial conflicts of interest in an environment to ensure financial transparency to tax payers
- Demonstrated leadership experience requiring strategic planning, execution, and maintenance of successful business operations
- Knowledge of the issues and components related to the ‘safety net’ health system and the delivery of services to vulnerable populations
- Mature and seasoned community leader and advocate, with knowledge of community, social, and health/medical services, private business, government, or law
- Demonstrated experience in community engagement/involvement, particularly in the area of persons accessing health services
- Understanding of multiple cultures and ethnicities with experience in removing barriers to health care services access for these individuals
- Knowledge of Central Health’s partners and how services are delivered by them in collaboration with Central Health.
The following persons may not be appointed to the Board:
- Employees, officers or board members of any entity that receives funds from the Travis County Healthcare District.
- Employees, officers or board members of any hospital including Dell Medical School and Seton Healthcare Family.
- Employees of Central Health.
- Persons who receive or whose employer receives in excess of 10 percent of its income from an entity that receives payment directly from Central Health.
- No attorney, certified public accountant or other person who receives or whose employer receives in excess of 10 percent of its income from an entity that receives payment directly from the Central Health shall be a member of the Board.
Interested applicants may complete a City of Austin Boards and Commissions application online at https://austintexas.granicus.com/boards/forms/385/apply or in person at the City Clerk’s Office on the first floor of City Hall, 301 West Second Street. (Applicants are strongly encouraged to use the online application method.)
Applicants are also requested to submit a resume describing their qualifications and a Statement of Intent expressing why they wish to serve on the Healthcare District Board.
Resumes and Statements of Intent may be submitted electronically to the Boards and Commissions Coordinator at email@example.com.
The applications will be reviewed and, if selected, interviews will be scheduled during the scheduled meeting of the Austin City Council Health & Human Services Committee. If recommended by the Health & Human Services Committee, the nomination will be considered by the full Council during the following Council Meeting. If selected, the individual will be required to complete a financial disclosure form.
Contact Stephanie Hall at 512-974-2499 with questions.