Entreprenuer Applications Open October 14
AUSTIN, TX - The City of Austin Small Business Program, a division of the Economic Development Department, is excited to introduce the Challenge Studio, a 9-month business incubator that forms and supports a team of entrepreneurs as they solve social challenges. The Challenge Studio’s goal is to create two new businesses whose products and services result in a local public benefit. The City of Austin will provide participants with workspace, customized learning programs, business coaching, and assistance from industry experts. The Challenge Studio is co-located with the Huston-Tillotson University (HTU) Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Applications to participate accepted through December 16, 2019 on www.SmallBizAustin.org.
Entrepreneurs will be selected for each challenge area:
- Food Security and Nutrition - Improve access to fresh, nutritious food in areas of Austin experiencing the highest rates of food insecurity
- Environmental Quality - Zero Waste by 2040 in Austin means keeping at least 90% of discarded materials out of the landfill
Who Should Apply?
- Passion for the specified challenge area
- Relevant Experience - knowledge, skills and abilities that might be leveraged to create a solution to the challenge
- Growth Mindset - openness and willingness to learn new things
- Entrepreneurial Intent - a deep commitment to starting and growing a business in Austin
- Resilience and Perseverance
- Commitment to a 9-month program
Challenge Studio Timeline
Application Period: October 14 – December 16, 2019
Final Participant Selection: December 20, 2019
Business Incubator Begins: January 27, 2020
Teams will determine ongoing meeting dates and times.
Upcoming Information Session
Join us for an information session led by Lance McNeill, Program Administrator. You'll have the opportunity to discuss the program and get your questions answered.
November 14, 2019 from 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Entrepreneur Center of Austin, Suite 110
4029 S. Capital of Texas Hwy.
Austin, TX 78704
For more information about the Challenge Studio, call 512-974-7800 or visit www.SmallBizAustin.org.
About the City of Austin Economic Development Department
The City of Austin Economic Development Department influences revenue generation through its programs and investments in order to secure economic mobility for our residents and promote a competitive, sustainable, vibrant and equitable economy for all. For more information, visit www.austintexas.gov/edd.
About the City of Austin Small Business Program
The Small Business Program, a division of the City of Austin’s Economic Development Department, offers one-on-one business coaching plus entrepreneur training, incentives and resources to help small businesses prosper in a competitive business environment. For more information visit www.SmallBizAustin.org and connect on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.