On Saturday, March 1 and Tuesday, March 4, 2014 a large number of visitors are expected downtown to celebrate Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday. There will be several road closures and parking restrictions in place.
Consistent with normal downtown special event procedures, officers will begin towing vehicles beginning at 6 p.m. on March 1 and March 4, 2014 in the following areas:
• along East 6th St. between Red River and Brazos streets
• the 500 and 600 blocks of Neches and Trinity streets and San Jacinto Blvd.
Southside Wrecker will tow all vehicles to 8200 S. Congress Avenue. They can be reached at 512-441-7094. NO PARKING signs will be placed on structures near the locations to ensure ample notice is given.
Road Closures for Saturday, March 1 and Tuesday, March 4, 2014
• The 600 block of Neches starting at 5 p.m.
• East 6th St. between Red River and Brazos Ave. starting at 6 p.m.
• Roadways east of IH-35 are not scheduled to be closed, but barricades will be staged if crowds warrant the closures. APD will only set these barricades if needed.
• Traffic control devices will be staged, but not set to close, unless needed, the 6th St. exit ramp at northbound IH-35 and the 8th – 3rd St. ramps of southbound IH-35.
All streets will be monitored and will reopen when it is safe to do so. Due to high pedestrian traffic, motorists are encouraged to drive with caution in the 6th Street Entertainment District.
# # #
Communications and Public Information Office
301 W. 2nd Street, Austin, TX 78701