The Relief of Emergency Needs for Tenants (RENT) Assistance Program Application Portal opens at 8:00a.m. (CST) Wednesday August 19, 2020 to provide direct rent relief for income-eligible Austin renters who are financially impacted by COVID-19.
The City of Austin Neighborhood Housing and Community Development Department and the Housing Authority of the City of Austin partnered to distribute $12.9 million of rental assistance between August 2020 and January 2021. One month of paid rent is available to households whose income is between 30 percent and 80 percent of the Median Family Income. Up to three months of paid rent is available to households whose income is between 0 percent and 30 percent of the Median Family Income.
For Austin renters impacted financially by COVID-19, the RENT Application Portal opens Wednesday August 19, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. (CST). Applicants with questions or in need further information can visit www.austintexas.gov/RENT, email AustinRENT@cvrassociates.com or call the RENT Call Center at 512-488-1397 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m CST Monday through Friday.
RENT Eligibility Requirements:
• Applicants must live within Austin’s full purpose city limits;
• Applicant household income must be 80 percent or less of the Median Family Income (See income chart below);
• Applicants must be currently on a lease or in a contractually bound rental relationship;
• Applicants must not be already receiving federal rental assistance;
• Applicants must not be a full-time student whose rent is paid by someone else; and,
• Applicants must provide documentation showing that COVID-19 has affected them financially (e.g., pay stubs, unemployment notice, etc.).
What Applicants Will Need When Applying
A valid email address and a phone number (Applicants can create one for free at gmail.com)
Information about each person in your household
Full name, date of birth, gender, race, ethnicity, relationship to the head of household, social security number, alien registration number, or ITIN number (if you have one. Please note that applicants who do not have a unique identification number may still apply.)
Proof of your household’s gross annual income as of December 31, 2019,
Proof of your household’s gross current annual income;
Proof of COVID-related income loss affecting the household;
Photo ID of the head of household, as well as current address and mailing address;
A copy of your current lease, rental agreement, or invoice (for extended stay hotels)
Landlord’s name, email address, and phone number
Paper and pen to write down your RENT application confirmation number