We Are Ready To Serve You.
Based on the Order by the City of Austin and Travis County to “Stay Home, Work Safe”, we have suspended all in-person customer services at the One Texas Center facility. Most of our services are available by phone, video conference, email, and our online portal, Austin Build + Connect (AB+C). For information on our modified services, please visit our DSD-COVID-19 page.
Who can schedule an Inspection?
A licensed contractor, the homeowner (if listed as the general contractor on the permit), a Master Trade Contractor, or official agents registered under the contractor can schedule an inspection. To assign an agent, complete the Inspection Agent Letter of Authorization
The permit holder is responsible for keeping a permit active by performing work towards completion of the permitted project by scheduling an inspection until all permits receive a "Final" status. The permit will expire if the work is completed and an inspection is not scheduled within 180 days.
Options for Scheduling an Inspection
Inspections can be requested online, or by phone. Inspections requested before 6:00 a.m. will be scheduled for the same business day. Inspections requested after 6:00 a.m. will be scheduled for the following day.
Online at Austin Build + Connect
- You must be a registered user. If not registered, you can register online.
- Click on "My Inspections" in the Menu option and follow the prompts.
- If you are experiencing difficulty, call 3-1-1, or e-mail DSD Help. If outside the City limits, please call 512-974-2000.
- Once registered, Live Chat is available for assistance Monday - Friday, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm.
By Phone on the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System
- Make sure you have your IVR personal identification number (PIN).
To get an IVR PIN, complete the form Inspection Agent Letter of Authorization and Request for IVR PIN Number (PDF).
You can also pick up a form at the Inspections Office on the third floor of One Texas Center, 505 Barton Springs Road, or request a form by calling 3-1-1. Upon completion, e-mail the form to DSDHelp@austintexas.gov, or submit the form to the Inspections Office and a PIN number will be assigned upon submittal.
- Call the IVR number: (512) 974-9405
- Choose among:
(1) Schedule Inspections (see requirements below),
(2) Obtains status on inspections,
or (3) Cancel the Inspection.
- Enter your IVR PIN.
- Enter your ten-digit permit number.
- Enter the three-digit inspection code. Your required inspections and related Codes are noted on the printed Permit.
Note: Inspections are usually performed within 24 hours after scheduling, but an inspector's workload can delay a scheduled inspection until the next business day or 48 hours after scheduling.
How to contact your Inspector
If you have a question about your scheduled inspection, you may contact your inspector (View contact list below). Calls to an inspector may not be answered immediately because they are conducting an inspection or driving. When contacting your inspector, and he/she does not immediately answer, please consider one of the following options:
- Send a Text Message
- Send an E-Mail
- Leave a Voicemail with your name, phone number, and purpose of the call. Please note that voicemail boxes fill up quickly, therefore the above two options are the preferable method.
Please call us at 3-1-1(inside the city limits), or 512-974-2000 (outside the city limits)