Smoking is the leading cause of fatal fires nationwide. Each year, Austin has fire fatalities as a result of careless smoking. Prevent smoking fires by using these precautions and a watchful eye:
- Prohibit smoking in bed.
- Always have working smoke alarms in the home. Click here for more information on smoke alarms.
- Make large ashtrays available. Ashtrays with cigarette holders in the center are safer because if left unattended the cigarette will fall into the tray.
- Cigarette butts should not be emptied directly into the trash can; cigarettes can smolder for several hours and then burst into flames. It is better to empty the ashtray into the toilet or let it sit overnight.
- After parties where smoking has been permitted, check all furniture and trash cans to ensure that cigarettes were discarded properly.
- It's risky to smoke when you've been drinking or when you're drowsy.