Zach Scott Street (Airport Boulevard to Berkman Drive) and Schieffer Avenue (Vineland Drive to Airport Boulevard)
The Austin Transportation Department recently implemented changes to Zach Scott Street from Airport Boulevard to Berkman Drive, and Schieffer Avenue from Vineland Drive to Airport Boulevard. Based on feedback Austin Transportation received at its public open house on Aug. 8, 2018, and other citizen communications, the department identified high-priority issues and designed a project to address these issues. Funding was available from the 2016 Mobility Bond Bikeways Program to complete this project. Austin Public Works’ Safe Routes to School and Sidewalks programs also contributed to bicycle and pedestrian improvements through this project.
- New two-way protected bikeway on Zach Scott St. (from Airport Blvd. to Berkman Dr.) and Schieffer Ave. (from Airport Blvd. to Vineland Dr.), providing an improved bike route to Maplewood Elementary for students east of Airport Blvd.
- New shared use path connection to Patterson Neighborhood Park
- New protected intersections at Airport Blvd. and Berkman Dr., reducing crossing distances for people walking and people riding bikes
- New bicycle signal at Airport Blvd. and Zach Scott St.
- New pedestrian crossing at Airport Blvd. and Zach Scott St.
Additionally, Austin Transportation and Catellus, the master developer of the Mueller community, are exploring a partnership to upgrade the striped bicycle facilities to include raised curb protections.