Yes, Austin Code may revoke a license if a licensee does not comply with the law, pay required fees or file required reports.
Find a listing of licensed haulers at www.austintexas.gov/hauler or call 3-1-1.
An applicant must provide the following to receive a license:
- A completed City of Austin Private Hauler Application.
- A list of vehicles and containers
- Proof of insurance — a certificate of general and commercial auto liability insurance
- The annual State of Texas vehicle inspection certification for each licensed vehicle
- The semi-annual tonnage report
- Required vehicle and container licensing fees
Recycling vehicles and containers are exempt from fees as long as they are used exclusively to collect recyclables and have blue recycling licenses. The license decals must be permanently affixed to the exterior vehicle doors.
The licensing fee for solid waste vehicles is $500 per vehicle / per year. The fee is due on or before the last business day in January of each year.
Yes, the City of Austin spends $250,000 per year cleaning property where furniture, tires and junk have been illegally dumped.
- To educate the community about the ordinance
- To support prevention of illegal dumping by encouraging citizens to call 3-1-1 or 9-1-1
- To provide resources to clean illegal dumpsites
- To support the Universal Recycling Ordinance (URO). Learn more.
Offenses are punishable by a fine up to $2,000 and, upon a first conviction, not less than $100. The minimum fine shall be doubled for the second conviction of the same offense within any 24-month period and tripled for the third and subsequent convictions of the same offense within any 24-month period.
Recycling is a process by which materials are collected, sorted, processed or prepared into marketable commodities for manufacturing into new products.
Solid waste is rubbish, refuse and other discarded materials, such as tires and construction scraps (e.g. landfill trash or debris).
Mail your completed application and documents to City of Austin—Austin Code Department, Attn: Finance - Waste Haulers, PO Box 1088, Austin, TX 78767 or submit your completed application and documents online to email@example.com. The original document will need to be submitted in order for your licenses to be issued.
The Private Solid Waste and Recycling Hauler Program is located at: 5202 E Ben White Blvd, Suite 550, Austin, Texas 78741. This is not a mailing address. Applications mailed to this address will be returned. See mailing address under: “Where do I turn in my application and documents?”
Austin Code and law enforcement will ensure private haulers operating in the city comply with this ordinance and other applicable laws.
Please contact our Licensing Program Specialist at 512-974-9035 for information regarding licensing and reporting requirements.