In June, 2014 the City Council passed Resolution No. 20140612-060 to initiate the master planning process for Lamar Beach at Town Lake Metro Park.
The Lamar Beach property consists of approximately 65.4 acres of parkland bounded by Lady Bird Lake to the south, YMCA of Austin, railroad tracks and various parcels to the north, Austin High School and Mopac to the west and North Lamar Boulevard to the east. Current uses of the park include 6 ball fields, 2 multi-use fields, Lance Armstrong Bikeway, Austin Pets Alive Adoption Center, Roy and Ann Butler Hike and Bike Trail and the Texas Rowing Center. Currently, West Austin Youth Association (WAYA) utilizes 4 ball fields and the multi-use fields for youth sports programs.
Additional major stakeholders of the property include Austin Pets Alive (APA, Old West Austin Neighborhood, the YMCA, and Austin Independent School District (Austin High).
For information on current agreements and contracts on Lamar Beach at Town Lake Metropolitan park see the following:
- AISD Interocal Agreement
- West Austin Youth Association Parkland Improvement and Use Agreement
- Austin Pets Alive License Agreement
- YMCA Parkland Improvement Agreement
- Texas Rowing Center Contract
The public engagement phase will be incorporated into the master planning process.
- Meeting #1: Vision Workshop – October 14, 2015, 6:30pm - 8pm, Austin High School Cafeteria - Meeting Flyer, Meeting Evite
- Meeting #2: Alternatives Workshop – December 15, 2015, 6:30pm - 8:30pm, Austin High School Cafeteria
- Meeting #3: Recommendations Workshop – January 27, 2015, 6:30pm - 8pm, Austin High School Cafeteria
Schedule and Adoption
The planning process began in August 2015, and a draft master plan was submitted to the Parks Department in March 2016. A revised draft master plan was completed in September 2016 after review by City Departments and Stakeholders. The draft master plan was presented to City Boards, Commissions and City Council for adoption as follows:
Boards and Commissions Review Schedule
- October 5, 2016 - Small Area Planning Joint Committee (Recommended)
- October 10, 2016 – Animal Advisory Commission (Recommended)
- October 10, 2016 – Land, Facilities and Programs Committee of the Parks and Recreation Board (Cancelled)
- October 11, 2016 – Planning Commission (Recommended)
- October 19, 2016 – Downtown Commission (Endorsed)
- October 24, 2016 – Design Commission (Recommended)
- December 6, 2016 – Parks and Recreation Board (Recommended)
City Council Review
- October 26, 2016 – Council Open Space, Environment and Sustainability Committee (Recommended)
- December 8, 2016 – City Council (Adopted)
The Master Plan report may be viewed by downloading this document
- Master Plan ( large document, 50MB )
The Phase 1 and Phase 2 master plan graphics may be viewed by downloading the following
Lamar Beach at Town Lake Metro Park Feasibility Study
A feasibility study has been developed for the Lamar Beach at Town Lake Metro Park to study the existing constraints of the site and understand the areas suitable for future building improvements.
The feasibility study may be viewed by downloading this document:
Lamar Beach Feasibility Study
* Please note: In 2020, PARD shifted from using the term "master plan" to describe all planning projects to other phrases that were more descriptive and could be used to identify the level of the planning process. For more information, please visit the Project Terms and Definitions webpage.