All violations listed on citations issued in Austin are criminal, even those issued to juveniles except red light camera, most parking and bond forfeiture cases.
There are eligibility requirements for some options.
Handling of Criminal Cases (for those 17 years old or older):
- Payment – Payment is recorded as a plea of “no contest” and waiver of trial by judge or jury, a conviction is entered and the conviction is reported to DPS. *Note, if you want to pay but do not have the money for the entire amount at this time, contact the court to see if you are eligible for other arrangements.
- Keep case off record without trial - Plea “no contest” and, if eligible, complete a Driver Safety Course or Deferred Disposition so that if successfully completed, your case will be dismissed.
- Show proof of compliance – There are certain violations that may be dismissed if you provide proof to the court.
- Trial by judge or jury – Enter a written plea of “not guilty” along with the case number and your signature. A court docket date will be given to you if you enter a plea in person or mailed to you if you plea by mail. Court Locations & Contact
Handling of Juvenile Cases (16 years old or younger)
You must appear in Court with your parent(s) or guardian(s). A court docket notice will be mailed to the address on your citation. If the address on your citation is incorrect, please provide your new address in writing.
Handling of Parking and Red Light Camera Cases
- Payment – Payment closes the case and a finding of liable entered. It is not reported if timely paid.
- Provide affidavit and proof of sale – No later than the appearance date on the ticket, mail appropriate affidavit and documentation that proves that you sold the vehicle prior to the date of the violation as shown on your ticket.
- Contesting the ticket
- Come to the downtown courthouse for a hearing anytime between 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday excluding holidays before the appearance date.
- Write to the court requesting a hearing and send any evidence you have with the letter no later than the appearance date.
Video of Options (English and Spanish)