Ortega School Park is a 4.2 acre park jointly managed by Austin Independent School District (AISD) and the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD). The park is the site of Ortega Elementary School and is used by the school during school hours.
This project will create a small play space that is open to the neighboring community during school hours. It includes a new playground with climbing and pretend-play opportunities for children in the 0-5 year-old age range. Seating and shade will be incorporated into the design. Trees and low-maintenance native plants will add shade and habitat opportunities to the space.
- Create useable space for the community during school hours
- Provide play opportunities for preschool-aged children
- Add shade and nature-play to the park
Please note that as in any construction project, schedules are projected as accurately as possible. All dates are subject to change due to the nature of construction and the weather.
- October 2019: Conduct community engagement (complete)
- March 2021: Design phase (complete)
- Summer 2022: Construction begins (ongoing)
- Winter 2023: Phase 1 features (playground) available for public use
- Spring 2023: Phase 2 features (seating, trash receptacles) available for public use
Design themes have been shared with Ortega Elementary’s school principal and Campus Advisory Council. A survey was shared for community members to weigh in on their preferred design. Survey was open February 4 through March 15, 2021.
Funding & Resources
This project is funded through Parkland Dedication Funds.
For more information, contact Charles Mabry, PARD Project Manager, by email or phone at (512) 974-9481