Small business owners do a little bit of everything. The job description encompasses a never-ending variety of tasks, and you frequently learn on the job–which can be the best kind of training there is. But when it comes to HR, a little guidance might be necessary to make sure you are staying on the right side of the law! This three-hour virtual workshop will teach you the basics of HR best practices and what you need to know to be sure you are fulfilling your obligations as an employer.
This workshop is eligible for the City of Austin Small Business Skills Certificate program. Participants who complete six courses in the program are recognized in an awards ceremony at City Hall with other local business and community leaders.
Register for The Basics of Human Resources
What To Expect:
This is a virtual class using Zoom meetings. Participants will be able to speak and interact with the instructor and others, as if in a live, in-person session. There will be ample time for Q&A at the end, but we also have plenty of group discussions planned during the session as well. There will be two ten-minute breaks to allow for checking your email, grabbing a cup of coffee, etc.
- All participants will receive a follow-along workbook to take notes, follow instructions, and complete exercises during the session.
- Presentation slides and exercises will be provided to all participants.
- Participants will also get a free toolkit - a collection of templates, forms, worksheets, and other resources that will be made available at the end of the class.
Who Should Attend?
- Small business owners
- Nonprofit professionals
- Human Resource professionals
- Both new and established businesses
The City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Reasonable modifications and equal access to communications will be provided upon request - including translation and interpretation services. For assistance, please contact the Economic Development Department at 512-974-7819. The City receives and accepts Video Relay Service (VRS) calls from people who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing through Relay Texas 7-1-1.