How to Prevent CO Poisoning:
- Inspect flues and chimneys for cracks, corrosion, holes, debris or blockages.
- Buy fuel-powered heaters with automatic shut-off features.
- Fuel heaters in well-ventilated areas.
- Service heaters before the first use of winter season
- Open windows periodically to air out your house. Homes with energy-efficient insulation can trap CO-polluted air inside.
- Use a gas stove for cooking purposes only.
- Operate gas-burning appliances in a well-ventilated room.
- Never leave a car running in a garage.
- Use charcoal grills outdoors, never indoors.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors.
Learn more about Carbon Monoxide Safety.