A home occupation is a commercial use that is accessory to a residential use. A home occupation must comply with the requirements of Section 25-2-900 of the Austin City Code.
Advertising a home occupation by a sign on the premises is prohibited, except as provided under Section 25-10-156 (Home Occupation Signs). Advertising the street address of a home occupation through signs, billboards, television, radio, or newspapers is prohibited.
The following are prohibited as home occupations:
- animal hospitals, animal breeding;
- clinics, hospitals;
- hospital services;
- contractors yards;
- dance studios;
- scrap and salvage services;
- massage parlors other than those employing massage therapists licensed by the state;
- cocktail lounges;
- rental outlets;
- equipment sales;
- adult oriented businesses;
- recycling centers;
- drop-off recycling collection facilities;
- an activity requiring an H-occupancy under Section 25-2, Article 5, Home Occupations (Building Code);
- automotive repair services; and
- businesses involving the repair of any type of internal combustion engine, including equipment repair services.
For information about Residential Tours and Garage Sales, please visit sections 25-2-902 and 25-2-903 of the code.
For more information contact the Development Assistance Center, (512) 974-6370.