City of Austin - JOB DESCRIPTION
Legal Secretary II
|FLSA:||Standard/Non-Exempt||EEO Category:||(60) Admin/Supp|
|Class Code:||15070||Salary Grade:||MA3|
|Approved:||October 24, 1997||Last Revised:||September 11, 2017|
|Utilize knowledge of legal documents and legal terminology to perform advanced legal secretary and administrative duties, including those of a sensitive and confidential nature.|
|Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:|
|Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Creates, modifies, prepares and proofreads documents, transmittal letters, inter-local agreements, contracts, real estate transactions, ordinances, resolutions, and Council Action Forms (CAFs).
2. Researches, collects, and assembles litigation discovery documents. Prepares and proofreads motions, pleadings, deposition notices, appellate documents (for litigation assignments).
3. Reviews attorney's schedule for conflicts and determines priorities and provide recommendations to staff, clients, and other city employees.
4. Provides status updates of open records, CAFs, Request for Council Action (RCAs), and other time sensitive documents.
5. Files, sorts, retrieve and distribute materials.
6. Opens, sorts, prioritize mail and alerts attorneys with time sensitive or urgent materials to include open records, motions, pleadings, CAFs, and RCAs. May assist in mail outs.
6. Provides record and computer file management services as required by Law Department policy.
7. Reviews and calculate figures for reports for invoices and payment processing.
8. Provides information regarding City of Austin law department policies and procedures and answer city employees and general public questions.
9. Operates various office equipment including computer, copy machines, fax, printer, telephone and scanner.
|Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:|
|May lead and train others.|
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:|
|Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of City of Austin Law Department policies and procedures.
Knowledge of legal terminology, principles, procedures and forms.
Knowledge of methods of research and sources of legal information.
Knowledge of city practice, policy, and procedures.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Skill in using computers and related software.
Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Ability to calculate figures.
Ability to handle conflict and provide resolution.
Ability to maintain confidential data and information.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
|Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent and three (3) years of experience in legal administrative work.|
|Licenses and Certifications Required:|
|This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.|