City of Austin - JOB DESCRIPTION
Legal Secretary I
|FLSA:||Standard/Non-Exempt||EEO Category:||(60) Admin/Supp|
|Class Code:||15071||Salary Grade:||MC6|
|Approved:||December 11, 2003||Last Revised:||September 11, 2017|
|Provides assistance to attorneys and other administrative personnel within the law department by performing routine legal secretary and administrative duties.|
|Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:|
|Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Formats and finalizes routine documents: transmittal letters, inter-local agreements, contracts, real estate transactions, ordinances resolutions, CAFs, legal briefs, motions, pleadings, hearing notices, subpoena notices, notice of hearings, appeals, and discovery.
2. May assist in researching information including collecting and assembling discovery documents, contracts and inter-local agreements, and other documents.
3. Schedules appointments by assigning time, invite others, and reserving rooms.
4. Answers questions regarding division operations and status of work. Records data and updates status of RCAs, open records, CAFs. Generate Time Matters status reports for attorneys as requested. Answers telephone and routes calls as appropriate.
5. Sorts and distributes materials (e.g. payroll checks, timesheets, mail, etc.). Copy, sort and finalize materials for mail-out and meetings.
6. Provides record and computer file managements services as required by Law Department policy. Set up, maintains numeric files, and updates status of files and forwards closed files to storage.
7. Provides routine information regarding City of Austin law department policies and procedures and answer city employees and general public questions.
8. Operates various office equipment including computer, copy machines, fax, printer, telephone and scanner. May assist other personnel with basic software problems.
|Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:|
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:|
|Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of City of Austin and City of Austin Law Department policies and procedures.
Knowledge of and ability to review documents for proper grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, and spelling.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Skill in using computers and related software.
Ability to calculate figures.
Ability to maintain confidential data and information
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
|Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent and one (1) year of experience in legal environment|
|Licenses and Certifications Required:|
|This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.|