Austin Code Begins Winter Educational Campaign
AUSTIN, TX –The Austin Code Department (ACD) launches its annual educational campaign, Safe and Sound with Austin Code, which runs from November 1 – January 31. This campaign emphasizes the importance of emergency preparedness, encourages Austinites to take actions to make their homes more safe from emergencies originating from common code violations and educate on how the public can reduce their household risk.
Safe and Sound also highlights what code inspectors check for, such as dangerous structures and substandard conditions or even structures that may be unfit for human occupancy.
With colder months approaching, winter tips to stay safe are:
- Testing gas service lines annually for possible leaks.
- Checking if the furnace is operating correctly.
- Checking the boilers on property to ensure they are working as intended.
- Checking the units on property to ensure they are equipped with smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Additional recommendations to minimize risk include:
- Install Fire Alarms and don’t forget to change the batteries at least annually.
- Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector – There are detectors that plug into electrical outlets which provide assurance and saves you from needing to change batteries.
- Purchase a Fire Extinguisher – Check it annually to verify it is in good working condition and up to date. Keep near the kitchen or fireplace.
- Don’t leave candles unattended near window drapes or blankets. Also, keep out of reach of children and pets.
“Our Safe and Sound educational campaign offers resources and advice to our community in order to avoid emergency situations that can too often lead to tragedies,” said Austin Code Director José G. Roig. “By following a few simple tips residents can take action to keep their home and family safe. We all want to be able to sleep well at night knowing our loved ones are safe and sound.”
Following the campaign’s guidance will help minimize risk to our community and prevent emergency situations. You can also download our community flyer for winter tips on how to stay safe and sound. To learn more about Austin Code, Safe and Sound, and other educational campaigns and resources visit: www.autintexas.gov/code.