The process for renewing your permit is the same as applying, except you must include the expiration notice with your complete application. You do not need to bring a generator or power source for permit renewal inspections.
1. When you receive the renewal notice for your mobile food vending permit in the mail, keep it on file and start preparing your permit application.
The process for renewing your permit is the same as applying, except:
- You must include the expiration notice with your complete application.
- You do not need to bring a generator or power source for permit renewal inspections.
2. Prepare your permit application for the jurisdiction where you want to operate.
4. If the environmental health officer approves your renewal application, you’ll pay the fee and they’ll schedule a follow-up inspection appointment.
- Prepare for your inspection by reviewing the list of requirements for mobile food vendors. If you have propane or propane accessories, also review the fire safety checklist.
- Keep in mind: You do not need to bring a generator or power source for permit renewal inspections.
5. Be on time for your inspection appointment so that you get both an environmental health and fire inspection and don’t have to reschedule.
6. If you pass inspection, you’ll immediately get a new permit.
Thank you for keeping your customers and staff safe! You’re a local hero.
Renew Your Operational Permit Annually and Early
A mobile food unit permit is valid for one year from the date of an approved permit inspection performed by the Austin Public Health Environmental Health Services Division.
Mobile food vendor permits must be renewed once a year by the expiration date. We recommend you begin the renewal process 45 days before the expiration date. Renewing early doesn’t cost you, but renewing late does. Permits have a fixed expiration day and validity period, so you won’t lose time. Late renewals will be charged a late fee.
Also, if your permit expires, you can't legally sell from the mobile unit until you get it renewed, which causes downtime for your business.
For a list of renewal fees for the City of Austin and Travis County, visit the Permit Types and Fees page.
The City of Austin accepts payment in the form of cash, check, money orders, MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover Card. Travis County accepts cash, check, or money orders.