Overview | 1. Define | 2. Consult | 3. Apply | 4. Review | 5. Inspect
This is a preview of the permitting process for converting an attached porch, carport or garage into interior living space. For this guide, the space to be converted is attached to a single-family residence. This preview can be used as a checklist throughout your project.
- Define the scope of your project.
- Find out if you need a permit and what kind.
- Determine if you will need any additional permits such as a trade or tree permit.
- Determine if you can get a permit.
- Find out what you will need to prepare before your consultation.
- Determine what documents and sketches you will need to collect before your consultation.
- Learn how to schedule a free in-person consultation.
- Get the application you need to apply for the type of permit your project requires.
- Gather the documents and plans you will need to submit with your permit application.
- Learn what other documents are commonly requested and determine if they apply to you.
- Learn about the review process.
- Learn what to do if you receive any comments and need to resubmit your application a second time.
- Determine what inspections are required throughout your project.
- Learn how to schedule your inspections either online or in-person.
- Schedule final inspection and make any required changes before your permit expires.