Use this guide as an introduction to permitting if this is your first project, you are new to Austin, or need a refresher on the permitting process. For more detailed or project specific information, check to see if your project is featured in our All Projects section.
- Define the scope of your project.
- Find out if you need a permit and what kind.
- Determine if you will need any additional permits such as a trade or tree permit.
- Determine if you can get a permit.
- Find out what you will need to prepare before your consultation.
- Determine what documents and sketches you will need to collect before your consultation.
- Learn how to schedule a free in-person consultation.
- Get the application you need to apply for the type of permit your project requires.
- Gather the documents and plans you will need to submit with your permit application.
- Learn what other documents are commonly requested and determine if they apply to you.
- Learn about the review process.
- Learn what to do if you receive any comments and need to resubmit your application a second time.
- Determine what inspections are required throughout your project.
- Learn how to schedule your inspections either online or in-person.
- Schedule final inspection and make any required changes before your permit expires.