The Austin Fire Department is responsible for issuing several different kinds of permits, including:

Public Assembly (PA)

  • An Annual Public Assembly Permit (PA) is required for public establishments who anticipate or operate at an occupancy rate of 50 or more people, and whose gross sales constitute 51% alcohol.

Fire Protection Systems (FPS) Program

In October 2017, we began tracking the compliance of the fire protection systems in commercial buildings in across the City of Austin through the online tool, The Compliance Engine (TCE). Annual reports, deficiencies, repairs, and acceptance testing for new installs are all required tomust be submitted through the TCE website.

  • Management Companies

  • Fire Protection Systems Program Contact Information:

E-mail address:

Phone: 512-974-0160, option 4

High-piled Storage

Operational permit required to use a building or portion of a building as high-piled storage exceeding 2,000 sq ft. Permit renewal required every three years.

Hazardous Materials

Learn more about the Hazardous Materials permit

Operational permit required to use, possess, manufacture, and/or dispense hazardous materials in certain quantities.

Requirements information and requests

Prescribed Burns

Permits related to Special Events:

  • Recreational Fires
  • Carnival/Circus
  • Festival/Fair
  • Fireworks/Pyrotechnics
  • Special Effects
  • Temporary Change of Use (TCOU)
  • Temporary Helistop
  • Temporary Occupancy Load Adjustments
  • Tent(s)
  • Theatrical Performance w/ Open Flame
  • Trade Show/Exhibit

Please visit