The Environmental Health Services Division (EHSD) promotes public health and safety to ensure compliance with state and local health codes. View a complete list of services.
NOTE: All fee schedules dated and posted prior to October 1, 2019 are no longer in effect.
Public Health Nuisances
City of Austin
The following types of nuisances are investigated in the city limits: Animal Enclosures/Setback Limits, Smoking in Public Places, Minors' Access to Tobacco, food handling, and reports of foodborne illness (food poisoning).
Outside the city limits, the following types of nuisances are investigated: trash, rubbish, debris, junked vehicles, tall weeds/grass, mosquito harbors, unmaintained pools, and substandard structures.
Child Care, Foster Care, and Adoption Housing
The division performs state-mandated inspections required for custodial care facilities, such as child care, foster care and adoption housing. Apply for an inspection here.
Food Safety Programs
The division ensures food safety for all food establishments. There are requirements for food handlers and managers, and four distinct food programs:
Food Handler/Food Manager Requirements
All employees handling food must be trained in a state-certified training program to ensure knowledge of food safety practices. All food establishments in the City of Austin must have at least one Certified Food Manager who is registered with the city.
- Fixed Food Establishments includes restaurants, school cafeterias, grocery stories, food warehouses, and convenience stores.
- Mobile Food Vendors includes food trucks and trailers, pushcarts, and kiosks.
- Farmers Markets includes all food booths participating in farmers markets.
- Temporary Food Events includes booths that serve food or beverages at events.
- Vending Machines. Permits are required for any vending machines that distribute potentially hazardous (TCS) foods. Get a vending machine application here.
Food Safety Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -- Foodborne Outbreaks
- FDA and USDA Food Safety Information and Recalls
- Conditional Employee and Food Employee Interview (FDA Form 1-A)
- Conditional Employee or Food Employee Reporting Agreement (FDA Form 1-B)
- Conditional Employee or Food Employee Medical Referral (FDA Form 1-C)
Pool, Spas, Interactive Water Features & Fountains
The division ensures the health and safety of all public and semi-public aquatic facilities to reduce the incidence of waterborne diseases and accidental drownings/injuries. Learn more here.
Mosquito and Rodent Control (Rodent and Vector)
The division provides on-site assessments and responds to complaints about rodents, mosquitoes, and stinging insects. The program also performs mosquito surveillance (trapping) to identify the source of mosquito borne diseases and applies limited control measures. Learn more here.
Help us better serve our customers by providing feedback through our online survey.
To address a concern or request a second opinion regarding an inspection result or complaint, contact us at 512-978-0300 between 7:45 am to 4:45 pm Monday - Friday.