This program works with operators to ensure food safety within fixed food establishments.  These establishments undergo routine inspection to ensure they meet safety standards and employ staff that are properly trained and credentialed.  Types of fixed food establishments include: restaurants, warehouses, convenience stores, food manufacturers, and food wholesalers.


  • Plan Review: This physical plan review is required for all new food establishment construction and remodels to ensure the facility is compliant with state/local health & safety codes. 
  • Certificate of Occupancy Inspection: This inspection is required after new or remodel construction to ensure the construction followed the approved plans. The facility must pass this inspection before a permit can be issued.
  • Change of Ownership Inspection: This inspection is required before the ownership of a permitted food establishment transfers to another entity or individual.  (If there is construction, complete the Plan Review & Certificate of Occupancy applications instead.) 
  • Permit to Operate: This approval is required to complete the permitting process. Once approved, the owner will receive a physical permit and permission to operate a Food Enterprise. Permit Applications to operate your fixed food establishments depend on the jurisdiction of your business.  This change is a part of the Inspection Frequency Standard effective November 1, 2018 for all jurisdictions except Unincorporated Travis County.
  • HACCP/Variance: Use this application to request a variance, allowing your establishment to deviate from the approved standards, and/or submit a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan showing how you will mitigate risks to food safety.
  • Central Preparation Facility Registration:  Use this form to register a permitted establishment as a Central Preparation Facility (CPF). This registration is only  necessary if the establishment provides kitchen space for Mobile Food Vendors.

Permit Fee Schedule

View the fee schedule for Austin and Travis County effective October 1, 2021, for all permits and services.



Frequently Asked Questions 

  • General FAQ: View frequently asked questions concerning fixed food establishments.
  • Cottage Food FAQ: View frequently asked questions concerning cottage food industry.



Have Feedback?

Help us better serve our customers by providing feedback  through our online survey.
To address a concern or request a second opinion regarding an inspection result or complaint, contact us at 512-978-0300 from 7:45 AM to 4:45 PM Monday - Friday.