We Are Ready To Serve You.
Following the March 24, 2020, Order by the City of Austin and Travis County to “Stay Home, Work Safe”, we have discontinued all in-person customer services at the One Texas Center facility. Most of our services are available by phone, video conference, email, and our online portal, Austin Build + Connect (AB+C). For information on our modified services, please visit our DSD-COVID-19 page.
The Commercial Plan Review Division reviews and approves commercial and multi-family plans for new construction, remodels, revisions to approved permits, change of uses and certificate of occupancy/compliance. Plan Reviewers include staff from the Fire Department, Austin Water Utility (Industrial Waste) and Austin/Travis County Health Department (food service businesses).
Once your building plan has been approved, a permit to commence the permitted work will be issued. All permitted work must be inspected by inspectors in the Building Inspection Division.
Services provided by Commercial Plan Review:
- Quick Turn-Around (QTA) Review
Quick Turn-Around reviews and approvals apply to small interior commercial remodels, and are generally approved on the same day as presented.
QTA Hours are Monday - Thursdays, 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
View eligible projects with the Quick Turn-Around (QT) and 7 Day Permit Process & Checklist
- Preliminary Plan Review
An owner and/or owner’s agent(s) can meet with staff to discuss preliminary design and/or construction issues. Request a Preliminary Plan Review Meeting
- Concurrent Review - Provides a concurrent review of subdivision, site plan and commercial building plan applications. Request a Concurrent Review
- Demolition/Relocation Requirements
New Procedures and Requirements:
- Review Times
New review times became effective on May 16, 2017.
- Openings in Laminated Veneer Lumber (LVL) beams
Read the new requirements for Openings in LVL Beams.
- Structural Review for Commercial Projects
Effective February 13, 2017, structural reviews for certain projects is being performed.
- Special Inspections
Effective February 13, 2017, a new process will be implemented for commercial projects requiring special inspections.
View the Special Inspections forms on the Commercial Plan Review Building Applications page.
- Update Fees
Effective October 1, 2016, Update Fees will be charged for all application submittal updates and documentation missing from initial application submittal. View the current Fee Schedule
- Condensate Recovery Systems for New Development (Information Bulletin No. 2018-0001, Mechanical Code 310.10)
- Cooling Towers (information Bulletin No. 2018-0002, Mechanical Code 1126.0)
- Standing Room Occupancy (SRO) Policy for A-2 and A-3 (Assembly) Venues - This new policy allows venues to make certain changes to an approved Standing Room Occupancy (SRO) Load Card without requiring submittal of the changes to the Development Services Department. SRO Load Cards establish maximum level occupancy of a venue and are issued upon commercial building plan approval. For A-2 and A-3 (assembly) venues, the new policy provides that tables/bars with chairs/stools may be added, but the addition of each table/bar will reduce the occupancy level by 6 occupants per table/bar. This policy will allow venue owners/management to make changes for specific or temporary events without having to resubmit for approval. The Occupant load Card must be posted during final building inspection, and compliance with approved occupancy levels is subject to verification by the Fire Department.
Work Exempt from Permits:
View work exempt from permits (scroll to bottom of page). Work must still comply with applicable Building Codes, City Codes, and other applicable ordinances.
Call 3-1-1 (inside the city limits), or 512-974-2000 (outside the city limits).
You may also contact us via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If an appointment is needed to address review comments, please schedule with your assigned Reviewer.
Appointments will not be limited to the morning walk-in consultation periods.
Intake & General Information:
Monday - Friday
8am – 12pm
Review Staff & Standalone Trade Permit Consultations:
8am – 12pm
Monday - Thursday
8am – 11am