Why 5 feet apart?
Most of our trucks are equipped with automatic arms that pick up the carts. If carts are set too close together or too close to other objects, our drivers have to get out of their trucks and move the carts so the automatic arm can pick up the cart without bumping into or knocking over anything.
Our crews can collect materials more safely and efficiently when your recycling cart, trash cart and yard trimmings are placed 5 feet apart from each other and from other objects like parked cars, mailboxes, etc. Thanks for helping us get in and out of your neighborhood quickly and safely!
What if I don't have room to set my carts out 5 feet apart?
We understand that some areas won't allow for this; simply set out the carts as far apart as possible.
Other Collection Guidelines
- Your trash cart, recycling cart and yard trimmings must be placed at the curb by 6:30 a.m. on your collection day.
- Do not put recycling or yard trimmings in plastic bags. Plastic bags cannot be recycled in Single Stream Recycling and connot be composted with yard trimmings.
- Help prevent litter by bagging your trash and allowing room for the cart lid to close.
- Extra bags of trashthat do not fit in your trash cart with the lid closed must be placed next to the trash cart and tagged with an Extra Trash Sticker, which can be purchased at most local grocery stores ($4 + tax). Extra bags without a sticker will be charged a per-bag fee of $8 + tax.
- Do not put carts in the path of the mail truck or on top of a water meter.
- Avoid placing your cart under power lines or low hanging tree branches.
- Always place the handle of the cart toward your house.