The Old Bakery & Emporium is a historic building located in Downtown Austin. Local artists and crafts people keep the Emporium full of unique and one of a kind items. This is our consignment shop.  We provide a Visitor Information Center, Art Gallery exhibiting local artists 50 or better and houses the Lundberg-Maerki Historical Collection.

Image of Old Bakery Exterior

Our Mission

  • Offering people 50 years and over opportunities to supplement their incomes and to develop second careers
  • Provide people of all ages opportunities for meaningful volunteer service
  • Providing information and a warm sense of welcome to out-of-town visitors
  • Encouraging the appreciation and perpetuation of heritage handcraft skill
  • Provide a positive image of the older adult as a gifted, contributing member of our community

History - The Old Bakery, a registered national landmark, has graced Congress Avenue since 1876, when it was built by Swedish immigrant Charles Lundberg. The building was used as a bakery until 1936.

The Old Bakery was vacant, deteriorating and scheduled for demolition when it was rescued in 1963 with the combined efforts of the Austin Heritage Society's purchase of the structure, and the Junior League's donation of $12,500 for restoration. The restoration work included installing the rods on the second floor to strengthen the side walls. The giant oven and the wooden baker's spade remain as reminders of the building's history.

In 1964, the Heritage Society began operating a Tourist Information Center and Coffee Kitchen. The mortgage was paid off in 1970, and the Old Bakery was sold to the State of Texas. The state deeded the building and property to the City of Austin in 1980. The City of Austin Office of Bicentennial Affairs and the Texas Bicentennial Information Center occupied the building from July 1974 to September 1976. The Old Bakery and Emporium opened in October, 1976, as a co-sponsored project of the Senior Programs Section of the Austin Parks and Recreation Department and the First Lady's Volunteer Program of the Texas Center for Volunteer Action.