The Digital Empowerment Community of Austin (DECA) is a network of non-profits, educational instititions, and other stakeholders working together to improve our community's ability to participate in digital society, making a more digitally inclusive Austin.
What is Digital Inclusion?
Digital inclusion is the ability of individuals and groups to equally access and use information and communication technologies afordably, efficiently, and reliably along with digital training, resources, and skills needed to fully participate in a digital society.
How We Started
DECA was officially convened on Thursday, October 29th, 2015 when more than 80 community stakeholders convened in the Asian American Resource Center to collaborate and brainstorm on challenges and opportunities in connecting our community. This meeting commenced Phase I of the co-creation strategy that developed a list of short, medium, and long-term initiatives that could have the highest impact on digital inclusion.
Four working groups were convened to work towards problem identification and solution generation and implementation. The four working groups are linked at the bottom of the page.
Where We Are Today
The Train the Trainer working group has since evolved into what is now the Capacity working group. Throughout its evolution, the working group fostered a sense of community ownership and leadership with the effort of bringing awareness to digital inequities in Austin and opportunities that support digital inclusion.
- Learn more at the DECA website - https://digitalatx.com/
- Join our Google Group - Digital-Equity-ATX@googlegroups.com
- Subscribe to our Digital Inclusion Newsletter– www.eepurl.com/UUKMv
- Attend our monthly DECA Meetings– Contact Jesse Rodriguez for info on the next meeting
Attend community events that promote digital inclusion
- Greater Austin STEM Networking Forum (April 11, 5:30-6pm, @ ACC Highland)
- Maker Faire Austin (May 5-6, 10am-6pm, @ Thinkery)
- ATX Hack4Change (June 1-3, @St. Edward's University)