Austin Water is committed to excellent customer service and takes your high water bill concerns seriously.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
If after taking these steps you still feel your bill is high, please contact our customer service team at 512-494-9400. We will review your water usage and possibly direct you to apply for a water bill adjustment.
WATER BILL ASSISTANCE
WATER LEAK BILL ADJUSTMENT
To request a water leak bill adjustment (City of Austin Code 15-9-141), you must:
- Submit the request for a water leak bill adjustment within 90 days of leak repair. You will be asked to provide:
- A copy of the leak repair receipt or paid in full invoice which describes the repair
- Your Austin Water account number
- The property address where the repair took place
- Range of high bill dates caused by the leak
- The date and description of the repair
Fax these documents to 512-505-4035 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
A customer who requests and receives a water leak bill adjustment (City of Austin Code 15-9-141) may not request an administrative hearing under Chapter 15, Article 12 (Administrative Review and Hearing).
HIGH WATER BILL ADJUSTMENT
To be eligible to submit an application for a non-leak water bill adjustment (City of Austin Code 15-9-142), you must:
- Be a single-family residential customer with at least 4 months of water billing history in addition to the disputed period at the service address
- Have not received an adjustment in the past 2 years
- Have been billed for water usage greater than or equal to three times your expected volume
- Within 90 days of the high use bill, complete and submit the High Volume Water Bill Adjustment Application available in [ENGLISH] o tambien disponible en [ESPAÑOL] Aplicación para Ajuste de Factura de Agua de Alto Volumen
If eligible, the charges above your expected volume will be credited to your account.
A customer who applies for and receives a high water bill adjustment (City of Austin Code 15-9-142) may not request an administrative hearing under Chapter 15, Article 12 (Administrative Review and Hearing) for the same billing period.
MEMOS + REPORTS
- Memo from Assistant City Manager (Jan. 20, 2016)
- Customer Water Meter Reading & Testing Audit (Jan. 19, 2016)
- Presentation from Austin Water (Oct. 21, 2015)
- Memo from City Manager (Sep. 23, 2015)
- Memo from Austin Energy (Sep. 18, 2015)
- Memo from Austin Water (Sep. 14, 2015)