The public can participate in a council meeting in two ways: (1) general citizen communication and (2) speaking on specific agenda items.
1) General Communication
Time is set aside at 12 noon at each council meeting for a maximum of 10 individuals to address the council on topics of their choice. A person who intends to speak at this time must register in advance with the City Clerk’s Office. Registration must include the meeting date, name, contact information, and location (either in Council Chambers at the meeting or off-site at a participating library). Contact the Office of the City Clerk by phone (512-974-2210) or online. See the sign-up schedule for registration dates and times at the following link:
The registration period for a given meeting begins at 9:00 am 21 days prior to the meeting and ends at 4:30 pm 14 days prior to the meeting.
A person may not speak at general communication more often than once out of every three regularly scheduled council meetings.
2) Speaking on Specific Agenda Items
Starting September 1, 2021 public testimony will transition back to in-person Council Meetings. All public testimony will be in-person; testimony by telephone is no longer allowed due to the expiration of the governor’s suspension of certain open meetings rules.
Speakers will be taken in blocks at 10 AM and 2 PM. For all items on the consent agenda, Public Hearings and all non-consent items other than Zoning, public comment will be taken at 10:00 a.m. For all zoning items public comment will be taken at 2:00 p.m. Additional time slots may be added as needed or at the request of Council. Council may allow speakers to be taken prior to taking up an item as noted by Council.
• For non-zoning items (Consent Agenda, Non-consent items, Public Hearings and Council Corporation Meetings) the registration deadline is 9:45 AM the day of the meeting.
• For zoning items registration deadline is 1:45 PM the date of the meeting.
To speak at a City Council Meeting:
• Speakers must register in person and in advance using the Speaker Sign-up Kiosks located in the atrium at City Hall.
• Handouts or other documents that speakers wish to have provided to Council must be emailed to City.Clerk@austintexas.gov by 12 p.m. the day before the meeting. This information will be provided to Mayor and Council in advance of the meeting.
• Currently speakers may not donate time to other speakers.
• Currently speakers may not pull consent items from the consent agenda.
• The allotted time provided to speakers may vary as determined by Council.
• Requests for language translation/interpretation services or sign language services must be emailed to City.Clerk@austintexas.gov 48 hours in advance of the meeting.
Participation at a Work Session
Except as provided in the City Code, citizen participation is not permitted at a work session meeting.