The historic Oakwood Cemetery Chapel was constructed in 1914 to function as a mortuary chapel. Designed by Austin architect, Charles Page, the historic Gothic-revival chapel is located within Oakwood Cemetery, a City of Austin Historic Landmark, registered Historic Texas Cemetery, and National Register of Historic Places site. In the subsequent 103 years since its construction, the historic building suffered from uneven foundation settlement and deferred maintenance. Funded under the 2012 GO Bond funding for Cemeteries and the Historic Preservation Fund, PARD rehabilitated the building for use as a visitor’s center and space for memorial services. The chapel reopened in 2018 and is programmed by PARD’s Museums & Cultural Divisions in partnership with the Cemetery Operations Division as recommended by the Historic Cemeteries Master Plan.
September 9, 2020