We Are Ready To Serve You.
Based on the Order by the City of Austin and Travis County to “Stay Home, Work Safe”, we have suspended all in-person customer services at both our Waller Creek and One Texas Center facilities. Most of our services are available by email, the Austin Build + Connect portal, and our website. We are working on remote access to our phone system, and an email to AWTaps@austintexas.gov will provide a faster response than leaving a voicemail at (512) 972-0000.
A tap, simply put, is a literal tap on the main. This main could be either a water or wastewater main which are maintained by Austin Water. Each property that is served or wants to be served has a tap to the property. The Taps Office processes this permit for both residential and commercial customers.
In order to tap the main, upgrade an existing tap, upgrade a meter, cutover from well or septic tank the Taps Office requires a Tap Application to be filed. There is not an application fee, however, several items are needed in order to process the application. These requirements are different for both residential and commercial.
Domestic, Reclaimed and Irrigation Meters
- Residential Tap Application
- Commercial Tap Application
- Reclaimed Water Service Application
- Water & Wastewater Service Plan Verification (WWWSPV) does the WWWSPV indicate you need a Utility Plan? Click here for more information
- Temporary Fire Hydrant Meter - Application and Ordinance
- Temporary Truck Mounted Meter - Application, Read Log or try the NEW Online Read Log Option
- Newsletter - Process for Obtaining Water Meters for Single Family Residences - July 2018
- Newsletter – Meter Box Set Up and Common Failures - December 2017
- Newsletter - Water Meter Inspection - November 2017
- How to Schedule a Residential Water Tap Inspection (Meter Install)
- New Service Connections
- New Water Meters
- Impact Fee Schedule - FY2020