We rely on hundreds of foster families to provide love and care to our most at-risk dogs and cats.
Become a Foster
If you are interested in opening your home and providing socialization and love to a shelter animal, fostering might be for you! Time commitments range from just a weekend, to a few weeks and possibly even several months, depending on your availability and interests.
Complete the Foster Application. These take up to a week to process depending on volume - you will receive confirmation once you are approved. Please check your junk/spam folder!
Types of Animals Needing Foster
- Adult dogs and cats needing a break from the shelter. This can be anywhere from a couple of days to several months, depending on the type of pet and its particular needs.
- Dogs and cats with special behavioral needs. Some of our animals lack socialization and training, and time spent in a foster home (one week to one month, or longer) working on obedience and basic skills can be lifesaving!
- Neonatal kittens! They need bottle feeding every two to six hours, depending on their age.
- Animals who are recovering from an illness, injury or surgery. If you don’t have any other pets, or, have a large, quiet area of your home, separate from other pets, we need you most of all for these types of animals! Having a quiet place to rest and recover makes a huge difference.
- Follow all policies and procedures as outlined in the Foster Care Manual.
- Access e-mail regularly and provide transportation to and from AAC.
- Provide some food and supplies for foster pets.
- Have up-to-date rabies vaccinations for all animals living in your home.
If you are an existing foster parent or want to learn more about the foster program, you can view and print the complete Foster Care Manual.
Interested in Fostering?
Click here to see the dogs who need you most.
March 29, 2023
March 27, 2023
March 20, 2023