Warming Centers Available During the Day
The City of Austin and partner agencies will be opening warming centers and cold weather shelters today, Thursday Jan. 20, because of the cold weather and anticipated precipitation.
Warming centers will be available during normal business hours at the following City of Austin facilities.
- All Austin Public Libraries
- All Austin Recreational Centers and Senior Centers (as they have Lobby space)
- Asian American Resource Center - 8401 Cameron Rd, Austin, TX 78754
- George Washington Carver Museum - 1165 Angelina St, Austin, TX 78702
- Dougherty Arts Center- 1110 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78704
- Mexican American Cultural Center- 600 River St, Austin, TX 78701
Social distancing, masking, and capacity limits at the facilities will still be in place.
The City of Austin and partners will also be opening cold weather shelters for the overnight hours. As a reminder, the City does not publish the location of cold weather shelters. Individuals in need of shelter should go to the One Texas Center building, located at 505 Barton Springs Road between 6-8 p.m. The cold weather shelter locations are located offsite. Individuals seeking overnight shelter will be transported by buses provided by Capital Metro.
Social distancing, masking, and other COVID-19 procedures will be in place for cold weather sheltering. Individuals will be required to undergo a health screening prior to being transported to the shelter locations.
Everyone should remain weather aware for the next 48 hours. Monitor the National Weather Service for updates about the weather and monitor road conditions if you must be out on the roadways.